q Study Options After UEC

Study Options After UEC

Graphics & Words by Caitlin Chuah

The United Examination Certificate (UEC) is a standardised examination for independent Chinese schools that use Mandarin as their primary language. Hence, there is a general misconception that students who take the UEC can only further their studies in Chinese-speaking countries, such as China or Taiwan. However, the education pathway for UEC students is much broader than that! In this article, we will be going through the tertiary study options for UEC students.

Studying in Malaysia

Although previously not recognised, you’ll find that the majority of Malaysian private universities (more than 300) now accept the UEC as an entry requirement. A few popular local options include Monash University Malaysia, UOW Malaysia, Curtin University Malaysia, University of Nottingham Malaysia, Taylor’s University…the list goes on! Thus, UEC students have more than plenty of options to choose from within Malaysia itself.

options after uec artwork 1

Studying Abroad

UEC is also recognised in other countries such as the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Singapore, the United States, Ireland, New Zealand and many more! JM Education is partnered with hundreds of universities from these 7 countries, so do contact us if you are looking to study abroad. We will help you through the entire process, from picking the most suitable university for you to helping you book your accommodation and apply for a student visa.

options after uec artwork 2

Twinning Options

If you’d like to experience university life in both Malaysia and abroad, you sure can! American Degree Transfer Programmes (ADTP) and twinning programmes allow students to study a portion of their qualification in Malaysia and then transfer to a university abroad to complete their studies. These programmes will often give students a number of universities to choose from, which they can then opt to transfer to in either year 2, 3 or 4.

options after uec artwork 3

Available Courses

The UEC is equivalent to the STPM and A-Levels, which means you can directly enter a bachelor’s degree program, rather than having to take a foundation or diploma course first. The common entry requirement for a UEC student entering a bachelor’s degree program is a minimum of 5Bs in relevant subjects. However, you could still opt for a diploma or foundation program if needed, with the common entry requirements for those being 3Bs in relevant subjects.

options after uec artwork 4

If you have any questions or inquiries regarding your tertiary education, feel free to contact us. Our services include: education and career counselling, assistance in college/university applications, student visa application, arranging accommodation and more!

Our services are free!

Let us help you get into your dream institution.

CTA Girl image